The registration for the SCWW 2011 conference is just around the corner. We’ll be posting links (one for those who pay via check and one for those who pay via credit card) on the SCWW website shortly. Also, in the coming days we’ll be adding more faculty bios and other tidbits you’ll want to read about how to make the most of your annual conference experience.
In the meantime, here’s a crash course to make your critique materials submissions go as smoothly as possible.
1. Please make sure you send an email copy to email@example.com, as well as mailing TWO physical copies to:
2240 Cadden Road
Augusta, GA 30906
You’ll receive a confirmation, via email, when we receive each piece. As a new feature this year, you’ll receive the name of the faculty member doing your critique and your appointment time before the conference. For more information on this, be sure to visit the website.
2. Please, do not send your physical copies with a request for signature/delivery confirmation, etc. As the planners of this conference are volunteers with traditional jobs, we are not always available to sign for deliveries. Sending your materials with these requirements might result in the packages being returned to you by the post office. Again, we promise to send you an email confirming that we received your package.
3. Please be sure to follow standard formatting for your critique materials. Do not alter your margins to get more of your writing in for the critique. Do not alter from the standard paragraphing/spacing, etc. The faculty members will be reading a lot of work and we want everything to presented in the most professional manner possible.
4. Please mark your genre during the registration process. If you aren’t sure, get in touch with a member of the Board, who should be able to help.
5. If you do not pay for a critique during the registration process, you will not be given an appointment time. In the past, there has been some confusion about registering for appointments (critiques, pitches and queries). The portion to register for the payment part of an appointment is in the first section of the registration process. The selection of your genre and faculty preferences will appear later in the process. To get a critique appointment, you’ll need to fill both sections out properly. Should you select faculty members and not select a critique line item ($50 for standard and $100 for extended), someone will contact you. If you select a critique line item and not include faculty preferences, we’ll also contact you.
6. We cannot confirm your faculty member until we receive your materials. This is just to make sure the faculty member you requested accepts the genre you’ve submitted.
7. Appointment times are assigned on a first-come, first-served basis. This means you’ll want to register for the conference early to get your first preferences.
8. Critiques are non-fundable once we receive your materials.
9. No changes to faculty appointments may be made after we receive your materials.
10. Critique appointments will be Friday. This will allow the faculty to provide the one-on-one appointment times, while still being able to teach sessions Saturday and Sunday and accommodate pitch and real-time query appointments.
If you have any questions, please check the Critiques page on the SCWW conference site, or contact Carrie McCullough at 706-564-7998 or firstname.lastname@example.org.