Your New Board of Directors

The SCWW Board of Directors met in Columbia last Saturday and elected the 2010 leadership. Here is the new slate:

President -- Lateia Elam Sandifer, Norway
First Vice-President -- Kim Blum-Hyclak, Rock Hill
Vice-President, Conference-Chair -- Carrie McCullough, Augusta
Treasurer -- Jim McFarlane, Greer
Secretary -- Brenda Bevan Remmes, Camden
President, ex-officio -- Barbara V. Evers, Greer

Grants Chair -- Valerie Aartun, Pumpkintown
Quill Editor -- Carrie McCullough, Augusta
Chapter Liasion -- Steve Gordy, Aiken
Petigru Review Editor -- Tibby Plants, Murrells Inlet

At large board members -- Kia Goins (Conference Co-Chair), Columbia, Kay Mortimer, Aiken and Ginny Padgett, Columbia

In addition, several members of the board will be serving as apprentices to current Chairs in order to learn the ropes.

We discussed several important items including the upcoming Book Festival in Columbia and the best way to reach and interface better with all our chapters.In terms of business, we passed a motion stating that membership is open ONLY to people over the age of eighteen. We asked Barbara Evers, President ex-officio, to create an ad hoc bylaws committee to review our current bylaws and report findings to the board in the June meeting.

We will meet again in February to vote on a budget for 2010.We will consider some proposals we've gathered for web-hosting among other agenda items.

Now, more a more personal note, I'm thrilled to be offered the opportunity to lead this organization. I've been a member for more years than I like to count and I've seen all the amazing contributions made by my predecessors. One of my goals this year is to make the Board of Directors more accessible to all our members. I want you to feel like you know us and can call on us to answer questions or address any concerns you might have about the organization. SCWW belongs to you--the members--and I vow to be a good steward of the trust you've placed in me. I'll be writing a monthly column in the Quill as well as serving as a co-chair for the conference. I plan to continue the blog, but hope to bring in a host of new voices to make it more dynamic. 2010 promises to be a very busy year but I'm looking forward to all the positive things it will bring.

The 2010 board is made up of people from all walks of life, with different gifts and unique talents. I couldn't have asked for a more talented group of people. We are from all parts of the state and are very diverse in what we write. I'm confident that this board will work very hard to make sure SCWW remains one of the premier writing organizations in the country.

My inbox is always open. Please don't hesitate to contact me with your thoughts, concerns, ideas and questions. Remember, SCWW belongs to YOU. If you'd like me to visit a chapter meeting, send me the details and I'll do my best to accomodate.

Over the years, I've had the great pleasure to meet or correspond with many of you. The reason SCWW is so incredible is the dedication of our members.

Here's to 2010!

P.S. -- Stay tuned. Tomorrow Angi Morgan will post her latest blog!

No comments:

Post a Comment